During the famous 1989 Central Park case, Donald J. Trump spoke out against violence in the city. He even ran an ad warning citizens of bands of violent criminals roaming the area and questioned why the death penalty was removed.
According to Town Hall, the city of New York released thousands of documents from the 1989 Central Park rape case last week, provoking more weeping and gnashing of teeth over Donald Trump’s full-page ads in four New York newspapers taken out soon after that attack with the headline:
“BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY.
“BRING BACK OUR POLICE!”
His ad never mentioned the Central Park rape, but talked about New York families — “White, Black, Hispanic and Asian” — unable to enjoy walks through the park at dusk. Of muggers and murderers, he said, “I no longer want to understand their anger. I want them to understand our anger. … They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes.”
According to the media, the five convicted boys were INNOCENT — and Trump would have executed the poor lads! Apart from the “innocent” moniker, the rape victim miraculously survived, there was no murder, so this is nonsense.
But let’s look at how “innocent” they were.
On April 19, 1989, investment banker Trisha Meili went for a run through Central Park around 9 p.m., whereupon she was attacked by a wolf pack looking for a “white girl,” dragged 100 yards into the woods, stripped, beaten with a pipe and a brick, raped and left for dead.
By the time the police found Meili, she’d lost three-quarters of her blood. Her case was initially assigned to the homicide unit of the D.A.’s office because none of her doctors thought she would make it through the night.
The 5 men charged with her rape were later released because of DNA evidence and claimed that police beat them into confessing. The newly released documents could prove otherwise. Town Hall’s Ann Coulter says if evidence was collected in this day and age it would likely have been all over the victim.
The media spun into an uproar calling them innocent, though Trump didn’t mention the case specifically. The new evidence goes on to show that there were, in fact, multiple reports of large groups of men and teens mugging and attacking pedestrians around the same time.
The documents offer snapshots from different stages of the investigation. They describe the attacks on other people in the park the night of the rape, the clothes and nail clippings collected from the defendants and some of the travails of investigating the case: Officers in May 1989 executed a search warrant for a teenager’s jacket, only to be told by the teenager’s mother that the jacket had been stolen.
The attack on the jogger, a 28-year-old investment banker who frequently ran in the park after work, crystallized fears of lawlessness in the city when violent crime was near its peak. It also became a seminal moment in the history of race, policing and the media in New York City. Donald J. Trump bought full-page newspaper advertisements warning that “roving bands of wild criminals roam our neighborhoods” and declaring: “Bring back the death penalty.”
The five convicted men sued New York City in 2003 for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress. The city refused to settle the suits for a decade under then-Mayor Michael Bloomberg, because the city’s lawyers felt they would win. However, after Bill de Blasio became mayor and supported the settlement, the city settled the case for $41 million in 2014. As of December 2014, the five men were pursuing an additional $52 million in damages from New York State in the New York Court of Claims.