Prosecutor Says Karmelo Anthony’s Ex Reported Stalking Before Austin Metcalf Stabbing

Prosecutor Says Karmelo Anthony’s Ex Reported Stalking Before Austin Metcalf Stabbing

New details have emerged in Karmelo Anthony’s hearing for a new trial.

Collin County prosecutor Bill Wirskye told the court that Anthony’s former girlfriend, Valeria Perez, reported him for stalking on the morning of April 2, 2025. She had reportedly ended the relationship and went to school officials for help.

About one hour later, 17-year-old Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed beneath a tent at a track meet at David Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco. Metcalf died in the arms of his twin brother.

The prosecution also presented text messages from that morning. In one message, Anthony wrote, “I’m low key on the verge,” according to Wirskye.

Another message was even more disturbing. Prosecutors said Anthony fantasized about stabbing someone and licking blood from the blade. Wirskye told the court, “There is a text message where he fantasizes about stabbing someone and licking the blood off the blade,” and added that Anthony “wanted to stab someone.”

The evidence was discussed as part of a state filing under Texas Rule of Evidence 404. The filing dealt with character evidence and prior acts. The defense had sought to keep that material out of the original trial.

Anthony’s alleged history of violence was also raised. Prosecutors said he had been obsessed with starting fights and had previously been taken by his parents to a special program at LSU for children who could not keep their hands to themselves.

Daily Mail reporter MaryAnn Martinez highlighted the timeline in a post on X, writing that Perez went to school officials before Anthony encountered Metcalf at the meet.

A separate post from Sarah Fields focused on the prosecution’s explanation for why Anthony brought a knife to the track meet.

The case has drawn renewed attention because Perez later publicly supported Anthony after the verdict. She launched an Instagram “Official Fan Page” and referred to him as her “sweet boy,” according to the source report.

Anthony was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison. His jury rejected his self-defense argument after deliberating for less than three hours.

Witnesses at the trial testified that Anthony refused repeated requests to leave the rival team’s tent. He then reached into his bag and warned, “Touch me and see what happens,” before stabbing Metcalf in the chest.

After the conviction, Anthony’s new pro bono appellate attorneys filed a motion for a new trial. They also successfully sought the original judge’s recusal after the judge made post-trial comments saying the jury “got it right.”

A different judge is now considering the new-trial request. The prosecution is using the newly disclosed report, text messages, and prior-act evidence to challenge Anthony’s account of the confrontation. The court has not yet ruled on the motion.

Send this to a friend